How should I collect and store Respiratory & sputum sample?
- Collect your sputum sample in the silver or white capped sterile plastic container which you will need to collect from your GP practice.
- A sample collected early morning is preferred.
- Remember, we want to sample material that is from deep within your lungs NOT just salivary spit from the mouth!
- Firstly, rinse your mouth out with some tap water to remove any food debris etc.
- Breathe deeply, cough and spit what is coughed up into the pot. Alternatively, keep the pot at your side and when you have a bout of coughing, spit out into the pot.
- You should aim to cover the bottom of the pot with your sample.
- Secure the top of the container tightly and then wash your hands.
- Make sure you label the container with your name, gender, date of birth and date of sample otherwise it will be discarded.
- Place the container in the plastic bag provided along with the test request form.
- Your sample should be handed in straight away.
Functional Cookies are enabled by default at all times so that we can save your preferences for cookie settings and ensure site works and delivers best experience.
3rd Party Cookies
This website uses Google Analytics to collect anonymous information such as the number of visitors to the site, and the most popular pages.
Keeping this cookie enabled helps us to improve our website.