Electronic Prescription Service
A new way to get your medicines and appliances
The Electronic Prescription Service (EPS) is an NHS service. Your prescription can be sent electronically to a pharmacy of your choice or a digital prescription token can be texted to your mobile that can be taken to any pharmacy.
What does this mean for you?
- If you collect your repeat prescriptions from your GP you will not have to visit your GP practice to pick up your paper prescription. Instead, your GP will send it electronically to the place you choose, saving you time.
- You will have more choice about where to get your medicines from because they can be collected from a pharmacy near to where you live, work or shop or can be sent by text as an electronic token that you can download and present at any pharmacy.
- You may not have to wait as long at the pharmacy as there will be time for your repeat prescriptions to be ready before you arrive. Once sent from the practice they are instantly available to your nominated pharmacist to view and action.
Is this service right for you?
Yes, if you have a stable condition and you:
- don’t want to go to your GP practice every time to collect your repeat prescription.
- collect your medicines from the same place most of the time or use a prescription collection service now.
- have a smartphone and have shared your mobile number with us.
It may not be if you:
- don’t get prescriptions very often.
- pick up your medicines from different places and dont want to share your mobile number or dont have a smart phone.
How can you use EPS?
If you have a mobile number on your records and no nominated pharmacy we will automatically text you your electronic prescription token. Alternatively if you go to the same pharmacy often and dont want to wait for your prescription to be prepared then you need to choose a pharmacy for your GP practice to electronically send your prescription to. This is called a nomination. You can choose:
- a pharmacy or a dispensing appliance contractor (if you use one)
Ask any pharmacy or dispensing appliance contractor that offers EPS or your GP practice to add your nomination for you. You don’t need a computer to do this.
Can I change my nomination or cancel it and get a paper prescription or an electronic token sent to my smart phone?
Yes you can. If you don’t want your prescription to be sent electronically tell your GP. If you want to change or cancel your nomination speak to any pharmacist or dispensing appliance contractor that offers EPS, or your GP practice. Tell them before your next prescription is due or your prescription may be sent to the wrong place.
Is EPS reliable, secure and confidential?
Yes. Your electronic prescription will be seen by the same people in GP practices, pharmacies and NHS prescription payment and fraud agencies that see your paper prescription now. Sometimes dispensers may see that you have nominated another dispenser. For example, if you forget who you have nominated and ask them to check or, if you have nominated more than one dispenser. Dispensers will also see all the items on your reorder slip if you are on repeat prescriptions.
Functional Cookies are enabled by default at all times so that we can save your preferences for cookie settings and ensure site works and delivers best experience.
3rd Party Cookies
This website uses Google Analytics to collect anonymous information such as the number of visitors to the site, and the most popular pages.
Keeping this cookie enabled helps us to improve our website.